Monday 2 April 2018

Cockenzie to Seaton Sands



























A walk from Cockenzie to Seaton Sands in East Lothian and a chance to try out my friend James' Fuji X100S camera. I decided pretty much to include all the shots I took for this post. How I felt about using the camera: It is lightweight, and it looks cool. I actually find the way a digital camera uses retro-styling to imitate analogue cameras of yesteryear a little irritating. I don't really like to use a camera that looks old when the technology is new. It somehow feels fake to me, and somewhat more of a fashion accessory than a camera. Still, I must admit it did feel nice to use and yes, it does look classic. I really didn't work out how to use the camera at all, so basically I just left it on aperture setting and hoped for the best; twiddling the knob that stops down or up by 2 either way helped. The results are better than I expected, given my lack of patience. I bumbled between looking through the viewer, which works a bit like a rangefinder in that you are not looking through the lens itself and flipped once or twice into digital mode, but then mostly used its back viewer.  I have always like Fuji film, and I find the tones warm but also understated in this digital version.  It is a fixed lens wide-angle, and I think the restriction of having one lens is good. I used my iPhone too this day, and realised how pumped up the images are, depth of field and exposure good throughout, but very instagram ready, a sort of hyperreality you need a tone-down filter for, if that existed. James, by the way, would hate me talking about the 'camera' and even has black tape over the branding. In the camera club we were in he was ruthless about the rule that no technical aspect of the photograph should be discussed. Thanks for lending me the camera, James!


1 comment:

  1. Feel free to borrow one of my cameras sometime - the Canon G7 is good for popping in pockets. James is correct in thinking it is how you select what you point it at that counts. ER.

    ReplyDelete